As one of the final requirements in our subject ELT 501 Sociolinguistic and Psycholinguistic Foundations of Language Teaching taught by Prof. Alice Karaan at Philippine Normal University, I listed my assumptions on second language learning. So far, in my eight years of teaching, I have believed that these assumptions are true. These are also the bases of the activities and projects I designed for my classes. I wish to elaborate on these in more comprehensive posts.
Ms. Donna C. Regulto
ELT 501 (2:00-5:00 pm)
May 8, 2009
My Assumptions on Second Language Learning
- To make students participate actively, make them aware of the goals of each learning activity. I believe that if students understand why they do such activities, they will get involved very willingly.
- Teachers must adjust their wait time so that students could process the input well.
- Language learning activities must include real-life situations to create meaningful context and the language forms and skills would be more useful to students.
- Teachers need to design activities like games that encourage meaningful practice of the English patterns.
- In testing students’ language forms and skills, teachers can use performance-based test so that students could produce outputs in a communicative way.
- Teachers need to understand that learners, especially beginners, rely on their knowledge of their first language for the hypotheses about how English works so errors caused by the differences between L1 and L2 would be inevitable.
- Teachers need to respond carefully and appropriately to grammar errors that students commit when engaged in communication to avoid fossilization of these errors.
- In planning and preparing activities, teachers must assure that students can show and develop their different skills and interests.
- Teachers must encourage students and provide them opportunities that would help them develop their learning strategies so that learning will be easier, faster and more effective.
- Knowing their students’ style preferences will help teachers provide the needed instructions in various forms.